Updated colorectal cancer screening preventive coverage for IBX Group Business
Effective September 1, 2021, Independence will cover colorectal cancer screenings as a preventive service for individuals starting at 45 years of age at no cost‑share. This change is in response to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) updated colorectal cancer screening recommendation released on May 18, 2021. More information on the change can be found here.
Colorectal cancer screening includes any of the following tests:
• Fecal occult blood testing (1 every year)
• Highly sensitive fecal immunochemical testing (FIT) (1 every year)
• Flexible sigmoidoscopy (1 every 5 years)
• CT colonography (1 every 5 years)
• Stool DNA testing alone or combined with FIT (1 every 3 years)
• Colonoscopy (1 every 10 years)
Certain services (e.g., anesthesia and bowel prep) performed in conjunction to a preventive colorectal cancer screening will continue to be covered as a preventive service.